"Come Listen to a Prophet's Voice"

Joseph Smith - The Book of Mormon - Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

Sunday, October 11, 2009

"The Love of God"

You will find ALL the Conference talks on www.lds.org - but here is the LINK to Uchtdorf's talk:
http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-1117-7,00.html


This General Conference set of discussions...I thought it would be appropriate to begin with President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk on "The Love of God" FIRST, because of the subject he presented...

When Christ was asked "Master, which is the GREAT COMMANDMENT in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all they mind. THIS IS THE FIRST AND GREAT COMMANDMENT." Matthew 22:36-38

"And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" Matthew 22:39

"ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS." Matthew 22:40

President Uchtdorf asked this question:
Brothers and sisters, of all the things we want to be known for, are there attributes above all others that should define us as members of His Church, even as disciples of Jesus Christ?

Sisters...have you ever asked yourself..."How does my life reflect what I truly believe?" One of my FAVORITE quotes was stated by Ganhdi: "My life is my message"....

I find it interesting...what people have inscribed on their tombstones...Take Thomas Jefferson for instance...I quote this statment from - http://sc94.ameslab.gov/TOUR/tjefferson.html :

Thomas Jefferson wished to be remembered for three achievements in his public life. He had served as governor of Virginia, as U.S. minister to France, as secretary of state under George Washington, as vice-president in the administration of John Adams, and as president of the United States from 1801 to 1809. On his tombstone, however, which he designed and for which he wrote the inscription, there is no mention of these offices. Rather, it reads that Thomas Jefferson was "author of the Declaration of American Independence, of the Statute of Virginia for religious freedom, and Father of the University of Virginia" and, as he requested, "not a word more." Historians might want to add other accomplishments--for example, his distinction as an architect, naturalist, and linguist--but in the main they would concur with his own assessment.

Mine might say..."Wife, Mother, Patriot for FREEDOM" Yet, I am not certain...I qualify, yet, to inscribe..."and Disciple of Christ" After much reflection of my life, like Scooge in "A Christmas Carol"... I can repent of my ways....and try to live as closely as I can...in becoming a true DISCIPLE of CHRIST...

President Uchtdorf addresses: "How Do We Become True Disciples of Jesus Christ?"; "Why Should We Love God?"; "Why Does Heavenly Father Love Us?"; "How Can We Increase Our Love of God?"; "How Can We Hear the Father’s Voice?"; and "Why Is Love the Great Commandment?"

I loved this line of his thoughts:

"Love is the measure of our faith, the inspiration for our obedience, and the true altitude of our discipleship."

Would love your reflections...on this wonderful talk by President Uchtdorf....

I might add this...One of the CLASSIC talks I have ever heard on this very subject...was given by President Ezra Taft Benson....... "The Great Commentment - Love the Lord" given in General Conference...April 1988 -

Here is the link for this GREAT TALK: http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=1aebd7630a27b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

Here is a GREAT quote from President Benson's talk:

The great test of life is obedience to God.

The great task of life is to learn the will of the Lord and then do it.

The great commandment of life is, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength” (Mark 12:30).

3 comments:

  1. I loved this talk...I loved how Pres. Uchtdorf shared how he loves the song "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam" (to shine for Him each day).....those few words say it all! If we shine FOR HIM....then we, as he says in his talk, WOULD be aligned with Christ....if we really "thought" about what that means; therein we'd find out what "discipleship" means.

    Christ doesn't correct the faults or weaknesses of others or even thinks to Himself how His ways are better and why don't we get with the program; He wouldn't do that -- He doesn't see us like that; He just loves us all equally and truly. He LOVES, builds and elevates, especially when we don't deserve it!

    If LOVE truly were the CENTER OF EVERYTHING WE DO (as Pres. Uchtdorf states)...then we'd be a calmer people I think. We wouldn't worry so much or try and fix so much....everytime I feel the urge to "fix" something, I soon realize (thru prayer and those quiet whisperings) that I should go to T H E FIXER of all (Christ Himself)...

    Elder Condie said today..."A heart full of love and a heart full of the Spirit of the Lord has NO ROOM for anything else" (quoting a talk from Pres. Packer)....there would be no room or time to pick apart each other and/or ourselves, or our lives, how happier we'd be if...;if only this would happen, then....;
    Our only occupation for our time would be how can I better SHINE...to love others better, to see them better, to make them feel more loved, etc.

    One of the greatest lessons for me in this talk is how he said "as we come closer to Him; we feel MORE HOLY and we feel greater light and more companionship....AND the veil will become thin".

    It's what Pres. Monson's advice for being more Christlike was....to SERVE (meaning... building our spouses, loving our children in spite of themselves, overlooking shortcomings of others and their imperfections, letting people GROW at their speed without judging them and a million other things....in other words, get "OUT" OF OURSELVES and what we think we can OFFER others or fix things.....it's always about selfishness if we don't....

    as Pres. Uchtdorf said, "Love should be our walk and talk"......as we give OVER to this...then we will see our hearts FILL with what he called and I loved it.....BREATHTAKING JOY....The things we think and do (he said) determines WHO we are and will become!

    And then he put the iciing on the cake when he said.....THEN (meaning choosing to love rather than think we have all the answers) we'll understand what it means to be a true disciple!! The more I give myself OVER and resist the temptation to correct others, blame others and point out their faults....when I actually DO THAT - the letting go of that temptation to do that - THEN I see what he's saying here......I actually FEEL MORE LOVE; and want to continue to love AND it does feel like what he says ....a breathtaking joy!! But boy how I have to really consciously pray for this, think hard about myself and all my "walk and talk" efforts.....it's a daily effort and fight....but well worth the effort!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm posted earlier this morning but now I'm not seeing it. I am such a techno-goof!

    I especially liked this quote from Elder Uchtdorf
    "But this may present a problem for some because there are so many “shoulds” and “should nots” that merely keeping track of them can be a challenge. Sometimes, well-meaning amplifications of divine principles—many coming from uninspired sources—complicate matters further, diluting the purity of divine truth with man-made addenda. One person’s good idea—something that may work for him or her—takes root and becomes an expectation. And gradually, eternal principles can get lost within the labyrinth of “good ideas.”"

    I think this is a wonderful way to say keep it simple.

    I've been an ordinance worker at the Orlando temple since it opened and one thing we are often cautioned about is ritualizing things to the level of ordinances. For example most of the men like to allow the sister follower to enter the Endowment room first when they go in to prepare things. While this is courteous and fine to do some people have acted lie this was a rule or part of the ordinance. It is neither just one nice way to do things. President Hoglund has called it temple drift when people begin to criticize one another over ways of doing things when really it is just a matter of personal preference.

    In my work in Seminary Brady has trained me to not evaluate a teacher's particular style but to instead work on helping each teacher to learn to engage the heads and hearts of their students in studying the gospel. He said "a teacher may teach with his hands in his pockets. That's a matter of style. Do not feel like you have to impose your opinion or style on others. Instead help them with things that matter most. I try to do that and as I share some of my teachers great ideas with other teachers I try to remember to remind them these are just ideas. Just like Mary and Martha we may each have a different and wonderful style about the way we worship the Savior but we need to not criticize or correct others for the way they choose to go about it!

    I just love General Conference!!

    Sandee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful insights, Sandee...I have often wondered if there was a BOTTOM LINE to living the gospel...(I love bottom lines to situations)...I have come to the conclusion if there was one...it would simply be..."LOVE FATHER...LOVE ONE ANOTHER"...If I simply did that...with my HEART lined up with that in mind...in EVERY SITUATION in my LIFE...I would somehow...LIVE the GOSPEL FULLY....Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete