"Come Listen to a Prophet's Voice"

Joseph Smith - The Book of Mormon - Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

Sunday, October 25, 2009

COME...Listen to a PROPHET's VOICE.....

As we walk along this path of General Conference together...We began with President Uchtdorf's talk on importance of LOVE....and how to LIVE the FIRST and SECOND GREAT COMMANDMENTS...

Then, we read the POWER of the BOOK OF MORMON presented to us by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland....which will "strengthen our testimony...bless our families...and INCREASE our desire to LIVE the gospel of Jesus Christ..."

Now, we come to FEAST upon the words of our PROPHET, President Thomas S. Monson...who spoke to us and the world...on Sunday morning....What was his COUNSEL to us....? What did the LORD want us to hear....and do....with our lives.....I suppose, we can ask those set of questions with EACH conference talk that is delivered to us........

Let's, however, begin with President Monson asking us a KEY question ..."What have you done for someone, today"....?

Linda Evans
Served on many "cooking" assignments and helped prepare foods
for the HOMELESS - YOUTH - WARD and STAKE events
Sabrina Cottrell - showing the YW how to decorate cakes
Some years, ago, I was assigned to guide the "Pursuit of Excellence" program for Relief Society...(never understood WHY that program went by the waste side....I SAW what it did FOR the Sisters...POWERFUL...) Anyway, remember, when we, as sisters, set goals that we wanted to accomplish in a year...under several headings...Motherhood, Service, Education, Spiritual, Emergency Preparedness, Self Mastery, Home Management, Financial Management, etc.? I remember I would ask sisters what they accomplished in their goals that week...and many...would say..."Oh, I didn't do anything special...this week..." I could see how often sisters did not RECOGNIZE all their acts of SERVICE....and COUNTED all the things they LEARNED that week....thinking it was NO BIG DEAL...and didn't see that they did in fact "PROGRESS" during the week...and that GOALS TRULY were being met....I recorded over 1200 individual goals that had been met that year...It was incredible...

Ann and her sweet "Mama" decorated and prepared a baby shower for Amanda McFadzean

Ever hear anyone express how they wish they KNEW their Savior? Or struggle with personal SELF ESTEEM.... or "wonder if they are doing any good"....??? or hear people lament...that what they do for others...is not all that much....

President Monson...quoted one of my favorite scriptures....“When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.” - Every LITTLE TINY ACT of GOODNESS....is an act towards CHRIST....FOR CHRIST....This is one way we come to KNOW HIM! Through our little acts of SERVICE....
Then, President Monson...quoted this...scripture...and made the following remarks:
The Savior taught His disciples, “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.”5
I believe the Savior is telling us that unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives. Those who live only for themselves eventually shrivel up and figuratively lose their lives, while those who lose themselves in service to others grow and flourish—and in effect save their lives."
Shelly Bush - Spends time "feeding our children" spiritually
and on occasion..."physically" (smile)
As President Monson talked about all the little acts of service...others did...after he expressed what he wanted for his birthday....I wonder how many ACTS of service each of you do each day....yet...perhaps...don't think of it in those terms: Washing your families' clothes; making meals; saying a kind word; listening; doing the dishes; etc. etc.

How fun...it would be...to take a JAR...as a family...and for every ACT of SERVICE that was done...put a coin/money in a JAR....(like the jar of jelly beans idea)...When it was full....you could either do a FAMILY FUN night...or GIVE the MONEY away to someone in NEED...or take the money...and put it towards the FAST OFFERING...OR MISSIONARY FUND...or the PERPETUAL EDUCATION FUND....or whatever...you thought would be a great way for the funds to be used....NO MATTER...how it was to be used...it would be...a SYMBOL....of kind acts for our LORD and SAVIOR....a reminder...that the LORD through our PROPHET, President Monson...asked us to "lose ourselves in the acts of service"....

As the WORLD continues to SHOUT...."ME....ME....ME".....!!!!! "Self FULLFILLMENT"....!!!!!What are some of the ways...you are battling AGAINST such acclamations?.....How do you teach your family about SERVING OTHERS over oneself? Any success stories?

6 comments:

  1. This was sweet of you Debbie taking the time to post these friends acts of service:)

    When you asked for success stories and what you said about women not recognizing anything they did that week of "servicing"...it made me think of this -- we would gladly serve at functions like these whether asked to or not, most likely....but what about "serving" in the small ways -- like behind closed doors.... to our husbands and children.

    Someone said recently (apostle or prophet?) that if asked to do some big task we would cheerfully step right up to the plate....but what about when our leaders ask us to not be selfish in our marriages, to not show pride in our marriages, to nurture our families? etc. Do we also step up to the plate so cheerfully and willingly and quickly?

    To me that's where I see the greatest successes from any outcomes of what I do...Stephi gets up and out so early for Seminary that she doesn't have time to of course make her bed...I like to pick her room up real prettily so when she comes home it gives her a beautiful welcome! I send Steve notes all the time via email pointing out tons of things I am thankful to him for; letting him know I recognize his burdensome load and tell him I don't know how he does it and what a great dad and husband he is....stuff like that....little things like that --

    The small and simple things that bring about the greatest harmony and bonding within a home...taking joy in mothering, doing dishes, making things clean and nice for my family...what greater example could Stephi have of seeing how it feels to be a Mom? what messages do I send if I'm always complaining of housework, etc. What messages do they have of marriage when Steve may do or say something that could warrant a negative response from me, but I instead say "your dad has so much on him, let's pray for him"....wish I would have developed this attitude years earlier, but here again...I have TOTALLY found that when you DO SERVICE for others in heart and mind, you FEEL more generous with compliments, more kinder to stressful situations....it's a beautiful feeling (but up to me to keep praying for this gentleness, this focus....cuz Satan is all too willing and ready to trip us up....gotta stay one step - hopefully more - ahead of him!)

    Love to you all and heart full of best wishes with all that is on your plates!!
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, thanks so much for your timely post. Today in our ward Relief Society we had a lesson on unselfish service. I thought it was wonderful when the teacher, a member of the presidency, prefaced her remarks by reminding us that we can have one of two reactions to a lesson like this. One, we can go home feeling guilty and thinking we don't do enough. Or we can be uplifted in realizing all that we do do for others. She hoped that we would feel the latter. So she had us get in groups of two or three and tell each other all the things we do for others.
    It is a little strange to suddenly be asked to list all that I do to serve when for the most part in our culture we are taught to serve anonymously with "no thought of reward". It almost felt like we were treading on forbidden ground.
    I had not thought of some of the things I have been involved with as service. It was nice to list a few.
    Our family has been going through some financial hardship. It is hard to see what one can do to serve when the ability to take meals, or drive someone somewhere, or help in some monetary way has been curtailed.
    I was reminded today that I have babysat for a friend whose husband was in a car accident, I started a homeschool coop with the desire to unite the LDS homeschoolers in the area, I have put alot of time into my kids education this year and we are expecting our eighth baby. I have been lamenting my inability to serve as I am used to serving but today I was reminded that no matter what our circumstances the Lord gives us opportunities to bless those around us.
    I have been thinking about President Monsons "warm fuzzies" and incorporting more service into our Christmas celebration and worship this year. I have decided to make the holy season starting in November our Family Season of Service. We are going to stretch ourselves and do acts of service in behalf of neighbors, friends, family and community. If anyone has any good ideas I would appreciate hearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FIRST...I apologize...It was NOT jelly beans in the jar...but, little WARM FUZZIES!!!!!! So sorry...my SENIOR MOMENTS!!!!! (smile) Joanna..."gentleness"...Do you remember when shortly after President Hunter became President of the church...he asked each us to be a little more "kind"....Imagine...if we added..."to be a little more gentle"...(smile)
    TO ALL: I have LOTS of pictures...of many of you....in acts of SERVICE...I didn't have much time...BEFORE church...I would have LOVED putting up OTHER pictures...depicting many more of you...It would be fun to put up...maybe any of your FAVORITE pictures of what you esteem as acts of service in your families...If you want...email me your pictures...and I will try and put them up...I have some in my family...that depict the things Joanna mentioned...(smile)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me introduce..."Sasha"...to you other sisters....Garvin and I met her and her DARLING family when we visited MISSOURI...a couple of years, ago...We had never ATTENDED her Ward before...we were just VISITING for the FIRST TIME...Our only other contact...was thru an email or two...associated with a homeschooling group...We had never met FACE to FACE...yet, Sasha upon our FIRST ENCOUNTER...had OPENED up her HOME and took Garvin and I in and fed us dinner that night....We have become FRIENDS, but more importantly...discovered we were truly SISTERS...I wanted to share this...for this simple act of SERVICE...to basically "strangers"...I believe...is the essense of what this talk is all about...SERVICE...BINDS US TOGETHER...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie as you know SERVICE is my favorite topic and I LOVE the prophets message this conference. One of the things I really love is the reminder of the covenant to "bear one anothers burdens that they may be light". One of the thoughts I have had lately is when I go to work to help new mothers and babies a job I so much love but many times I am not feeling so great or tired--once I get into the service of helping I dont even think of my headache or whatever. My family knows that after I am at work for a couple hours its Ok to call me as I am always in a better moood when serving others! I also love to help my co workers as well.
    I love to serve my family--For TJ I always make sure he has his shirts and everything he needs just so. I have his towel folded and a brush on top by the sink ready for him--I also do this and the housework before I go to work. I dont do this for anything special but I know how hard he works and want to make his life a bit easier even if it is such a small thing. Nicky lives with us and I also try to be there for her as well and she and Summer are always there for me. I love to see my girls' talents serve others and how their personalities help to serve others as well as each other. My wonderful son in law serves us allll the time with his talents and his spirit.

    The problem with serving comes when we dont think its enough...like if a neighbor or friend is sick we(me) think "oh I want to make a pot of soup or a gift basket or something big and then thoughts come in... do I have time?, money? the items to bring it over? what if they dont like soup? what if they want to be alone? and then nothing ends up getting done. Its not that we dont want to serve others but sometimes we get too caught up with all the questions and worries when really service is from the heart and doesnt have to be a big thing in most cases. I am slowly learning that to serve sometimes you have to "just do it" even if it isnt appreciated at the moment or not as big as you wouldve liked to have done it.
    To all the sisters out there that might read this I just want to say that I notice the service you do for your family and the church and your callings. So many times i do not feel as I do enough and wish so much for more energy or to be split in to two people so I can serve more but maybe that is the nature of sisters??
    Dorothy A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dorothy...You made a VERY VALID point...Sometimes, we aren't certain how our "service" will be received..."Will I be intruding?" "Will it be a good time...?" and all those CONCERNS you stated...Dorothy, you know the Lord LOOKS UPON THE HEART...He KNOWS the INTENTS of our HEARTS...Father,also, knows who has the "MEANS" to do certain things...but, SERVICE that is often needed, does not come with the use of money...As Sisters, we have been endowed with the most powerful of GIFTS..."a shoulder to cry on"..."a compassionate heart"..."helping hands to organize"..."strength to do a few extra dishes or laundry"..."gift to write a note of encouragement"..."a smile"..."a bear hug"..."simply 'noticing' a lonely heart and are able to find a way to include them"...Dorothy one of your GREATEST GIFTS...Is your HUMOR!!!! Your ability to see LIFE in HUMOROUS ways, though as painful as some situations may be, but...your funny statements...LIFTS and helps LIGHTEN burdens...!!! I have been a recipient of your HUMOR...I heard Truman Madsen once describe the Prophet Joseph's HUMOR...and said...it is not only a GIFT...but, essential part of an EXALTED LIFE...I LOVED HEARING THAT!!! HUMOR serves WELL...in the kingdom!!!! (smile)

    ReplyDelete